Thursday, January 3, 2013

Giving Back

It seems the older I get the more I have this burning desire to give back where I can.  In 2012 I had the pleasure of doing the MS Walk with a great group of friends, also I joined the Fighting Flamingo's which is a Relay For Life team that raises money for cancer research.  I didn't get to do as much with the Flamingo's as I would have liked to~actaully was only able to donate food for a bake sale.  lol  I also made the choice to donate my hair (which I already blogged about).  But you know there is always one cause that is near and dear to your heart~something that pulls you in.


I seem to have found that niche~I love to sew things (I'm a crafty ass!)  lol  Since my 3rd daughter was born early and spent time in the NICU I had the hair-brain idea to make rag quilts to donate.  Have I ever made a rag quilt??  NO!!  lol  But I had the one that was given to my daughter, Grace so I just took it from there.  I'm not really the type of girl to follow instructions in the first place so we're good!!  ;) I have a huge pile of fabric so I just began to pick out random fabric's that I thought worked well together.  I use snuggle fleece since it is mush softer and frays to make a adorable baby blanket.  So the sewing and cutting began and waalaa.....

I was lucky enough to have stumbled upon a sale at the fabric store that allowed me to purchase a lot of fabric for these adorable blankets.  So the creativity was running wild and the mass sewing began.....
So I rallied the troops that I could and set off to making as many blankets as I could over the next few weeks.  One of my oldest, best friends also had a little boy in the NICU (born the same age) and she took on the same task as I.  I contacted the NICU to make sure that we were able to donate them and that the blankets would be used.  The hospital was eager to accept them so we set our date for donation and prepped for delivery.


 Baby girl little whales...

                                        

                                                                            Love Grows......


                                         Grey Polka Dots........



Pink Buttons......


Purple Paisley.......









Blue Stars........
                                                                                                Baby Blue whales.....

Package of blankets ready to donate~each of them has a little card inclosed with some words of inspiration from someone who has been where these families are.
The crew who donated:  (Left to right)  Jamie Van Quathem, her son William  (almost 6 yrs, old), Allie (8 years old), Tessa (5 years old), Grace (6 years old), Haley (13 years old) and myself.


If anyone wants to check us out we are on Facebook~"For the Love of Grace"












No comments:

Post a Comment